Renfrew-area residents report receiving calls and door-to-door visits from people wanting to talk about the Ontario Electricity Support Program (OESP).
Residents of the Halton Hills area report receiving calls from someone claiming to be from the “Ontario Rebate and Reward Association,” offering rebates on their electricity bills and asking for access to their homes to verify they are eligible for the rebates.
The OEB wants consumers to know that the OESP application and approval process does not require a home visit, and that companies are not allowed to use or promote the OESP as part of any sales pitch. There are more than 170 agencies across Ontario that are willing to help consumers with the OESP application process for free. To find out more, please visit ontarioelectricitysupport.ca.
Consumers with questions or concerns about any sales calls or door-to-door experiences are encouraged to contact the OEB at 1-877-632-2727 within the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday to Friday, or call the police.
- Know who you’re dealing with – If someone calls you, ask for the name of the person you are speaking with, the company they represent and their telephone number.
- Ask for ID – If someone is at your door, ask to see identification, including a business card and ID card with the sales representative’s company information.
- Protect your personal information – Do not feel compelled to share your personal information. Your utility bill is private. It contains personal information like your account number and energy usage.
- No home inspection necessary – The OESP application and approval process does not require a home visit. Utilities rarely visit your home and usually set up an appointment first.
- Consumers interested in the OESP or other bill support programs, can visit oeb.ca/BillHelp.
- OEB Consumer Protection Tip Sheet (pdf)
- More information about consumer rights and the rules specific to door-to-door energy retailers can be found at oeb.ca/knockknock.
Please visit http://www.oeb.ca/industry for more information.